4 whole grain tortilla wraps (or one large prepared pizza crust)
1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 diced medium orange bell pepper
1/2 diced medium cooking onion
3/4 cup finely sliced romain lettuce leaves
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 jar store bought salsa
1 small avocado, cut into chunks
cashew cream* (substitute sour cream for non-vegan)
- Begin preparing cashew cream by bringing water to a boil (omit, if using sour cream)
- Pre-heat oven to 350oC
- In a large bowl, mash black beans, water, chilli powder, and salt together
- Dice bell pepper and onions, and thinly slice lettuce leaves, and set aside.
- Assemble 4 pizzas on cookie sheets by layering black beans, then lettuce, bell peppers, onions and frozen corn, and then spooning salsa onto tortillas.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- While cooking, prepare the rest of the cashew cream, and chop the avocado.
- When pizzas are done, top with avocado, cashew cream and more salsa if desired. Allow to cool shortly before eating.
Note: for younger kids, the tortillas can be difficult to cut. Replacing tortillas with one large prepared pizza crust from the grocery store may be helpful.
1 cup unsalted, un-roasted cashews
5 tbsp fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
1/2 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
1/2 tsp salt
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add cashews.
- Allow to boil momentarily, then remove from heat. Set aside and let cashews soak for 20 minutes.
- Drain cashews and add to a blender, along with lemon, milk and salt. Blend until smooth with no chunks.